AMERIND exists due to a void in the commercial insurance marketplace. In 1986, the National American Indian Housing Council (NAIHC) created AMERIND in conjunction with HUD. At the time, a crisis in the insurance marketplace was affecting everyone. To maintain affordable and sustainable insurance coverage in managed housing, these organizations had the vision to create a pool of self-funded insurance.
AMERIND’s Indian Housing Block Grant (IHBG) program currently serves over 400 Tribes, Tribal Housing Authorities and Tribal Designated Housing Entities (TDHE) in the United States. To be an eligible member (owner) of the IHBG program, you have to be a federally recognized Tribe and receive Native American Housing Assistance Self Determination Act (NAHASDA) funding.
Core Coverage Available for IHBG:
- Real Property
- Personal Property
- Business Income
- Flood & Earthquake ($15,000 Sub Limit per Structure)
- Equipment Breakdown (Boiler & Machinery)
- General Liability
- Tribal Housing Officials Liability
- Employee Dishonesty
Additional Coverage Available
- Tribal Workers’ Compensation
- Employee Benefits
- Ownership of AMERIND
- Affordable and sustainable insurance coverage
- Support of Native Americans and Alaskan Native housing and Tribal operations
- Effective loss prevention and risk management services
- Employment opportunities for Native American and Alaskan Natives
- Members share in the success of the program
- Competitive bid waiver from HUD in the procurement of insurance
Let us provide you with more detailed information on how the IHBG Program will benefit your organization. Contact us at (800) 352-3496.